Monday, March 12, 2012

Math in Art Class?


On Tuesday March 6th, we split the class into two groups.  The groups had to have the same number of men and women in each.  Professor Moss presented us with a series of numbers.  He instructed us to solve the pattern and figure out what the next number was in the series.  I immediately began to get excited; reason being was because growing up as a child from early elementary school till now math was my favorite subject.  So I personally felt the need to help my group and try to lead.  But I did not take the lead; I actually listened and try to learn how other people in my group went about their ways of coming up with the solution.  Personally I tend to be a leader by example.  I find it best in order for me to learn, I just keep quiet, listen and watch what other people say and do. 
Everyone contributed to the group in some way or another.  We found that the time we had was used very wisely.  I also noticed how much more cooperative our group was compared to the other group who was struggling to come to an answer as a group.  Our group communicated very well and found ways to input everyone’s word or idea some how. 
The next part of the activity was to select one person from our group to explain and try to convince the other group why our solution to the problem presented was the correct one.  In our group we all decided what made sense and the most convincing way to prove how our solution works.  The only problem when the final solution was presented was that our group member did not explain the solution correctly.  In the end, by the way the two groups had presented the solution, both groups were wrong.  So what I noticed was the lack of detail in the explanation was the problem that our group had.  Being able to pitch an idea, or explain a plan, needs to be short, precise, and clear.  Communication is key to relaying your message.

Descriptive words:

Naturalistic

Didactic

Pedantic

No comments:

Post a Comment